Could you save my marriage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I asked my nonDIY loving husband to paint our living room this week and he has had terrible problems with the ceiling. It is artexed and looked fine before but patches of it are just blistering and peeling away as he paints it. He has sanded it down and tried a primer but it is now peeling all around the primer. Can anyone help, he is not in a good mood!

Sponsored Links
Was the artex painted before ?

What emulsion are you using ?

Yes it was painted and that paint is peeling off. He is using the white matt emulsion from dulux which is pink when painted on. He has tryed a thicker ceiling paint but that did the same.

sounds like your artex ceilings were painted with emulsion too thick.. Bare artex should be primed with thinned emulsion (at least 20% water) this is called mist coating..
The peeling/ blistering is happening because previous paint is just laying on surface and has not bonded into the artex.
Suggest try a thinned coat of emulsion first, leave it to dry to see if the bubbles go back ( a long shot) whatever you do dont put thicker paint on this will just make problem worse.

Sponsored Links
This is going to make hes shoulders aches...but he'll probably need to do it with a brush..

You get quite a lot of suction using a roller..and thats whats causing the paint to rip off in sheets (wrapped around the roller sleeve?)

The causes...like the chaps said...too thick or wrong type of emulsion in the first place....just sitting on the surface

Get a good quality 4 inch brush instead of an easter egg!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back