Coving Advice & More Painting over plaster questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope you can help me. I've got some questions in relation to my kitchen.

1) We have newly plastered walls which I have misted with Dulux Matt trade emulsion watered down about? 30%. Some posters on here have said do it 20% min. Some said 50%. Can anyone tell me what is right? My top coat is going to be a Dulux heritage paint in green. Should the next steps be to
a) sand down the walls after the mist coat
b) use the dulux heritage paint watered down for the final two coats?
If not, what should I be doing?

2) How long should I leave the paint to dry between coats - need to move speedily as my kitchen fitters are coming on Weds!

3) What direction should I paint for the smoothest coat. Up and down with a brush or using a roller? What about when I do the edges?

4) We are also fitting polystyrene coving - any hints and tips?

Apologies for the long post, but I need serious help!

Sponsored Links
1/ Some say different cause different paint makers make there paints to different qualities etc. Thin down first coat by 25% water. 2/ Fill any inprefections and once dry dab some thinned down first coat emulsion on new filler areas. 3/ Now apply your Heritage in two coats. 4/ Me personaly prefer gyproc coving, so if i were you then i would not hang the poly coving. 5/ Use a brush to cut in then use an roller up and down and do one wall at a time. 6/ You can overcoat emulsion after 2 hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back