cpc continuity and final ring continuity tests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OSG pages 67 to 71, is dealing with cpc continuity and ring final circuit continuity tests. the cpc continuity is basically to measure the R1+R2, and at the same time the continuity of the cpc and phase wires. The ring final circuit continuity test seems to do the same thing but in three steps configuration, the part that I'm interested in is when the phase is connected to the cpc. What is the difference between this test and the cpc continuity test, I looked in the BS 7671, but it did not make it more clear. (the testing process itself is no problem) I'm sure that i miss something here.
Can someone explain.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Albert, confirming the cpc and phase continuity is one test each.

Joining the Phase and cpc together on any circuit will allow the tester to measure the R1+R2 value.

For a ring this can be done at the Dictribution board, for a radial circuit, power or lighting, it will have to be done at the extremity of the circuit.

Remember, on any circuit, you will need to dridge all points where the phase and cpc are accessible, such as at a socket faceplate or lighting point.

FWL_Engineer said:
Albert, confirming the cpc and phase continuity is one test each.

Joining the Phase and cpc together on any circuit will allow the tester to measure the R1+R2 value.

For a ring this can be done at the Dictribution board, for a radial circuit, power or lighting, it will have to be done at the extremity of the circuit.

Remember, on any circuit, you will need to dridge all points where the phase and cpc are accessible, such as at a socket faceplate or lighting point.
Thanks,
I think i still miss something, in the OSG P70 it explains that in step 2, (for example), the phase and neutral conductors are connected together, and the resistance measured at each socket outlet, step 3 is the same thing with the cpc and phase .... and than it states that "The highest value recorded represents the maximum (R1+R2) of the circuit...etc" is it wrong to think that the latter one is the same as the cpc continuity test?

Sponsored Links
Hello Albert,

Was just looking through my notes and remembered you saying about this site,, been reading on here for a few hours and it has answered many unexplained things.

Will speak on friday.

P.S 40% is a pass :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back