crabtree circuit breakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have an old Crabtree Consumer unit fitted with type 1 circuit breakers
i need to fit a 40A or 45A breaker to it.

Can you still get type 1 breakers or equivalent from anywhere
in the 40/45A size or do any other breaker fit this CU

what would happen if i put two 32A in parrallel ??

this is only a temp fik until i have the completet thing replaced and relocated

Sponsored Links
You should never paralell breakers - unless balancing resitors are used, which they cant be in this case, they are most unlikely to share the load equally, and will end up both tripping in rapid succesion..
Try looking here http://www.thefusecompany.co.uk/
If what you need is not on the site, then calling them can be a good starting point for looking for obscure compatible components. Not the cheapest, but good stocks

Its like decorating a house with a leaking roof.....

What are you installing that requires that load??

Possibly (seriously) a cheap single way CU (ebay?) henleyed from the tails would be cheaper than sourcing the MCB!

Can you take a photo of the CU and an MCB?? I have a collection of breakers - possibly the one you need ;)

Why not fit a 1 or 2 way enclosure next to the existing consumer unit then use any of the new type mcb's

Sponsored Links
mikegray said:
what would happen if i put two 32A in parrallel ??

then you have 64A. which is prob way OTT. aswell as other factors make it more dangerous

one possibility which should be safe enough and reasonablly practical would be to put 2 32A breakers in paralell as you suggest but then to actually protect the cable use a breaker of appropriate rating but a different brand in a seperate box near the CU.

plugwash said:
one possibility which should be safe enough and reasonablly practical would be to put 2 32A breakers in paralell as you suggest but then to actually protect the cable use a breaker of appropriate rating but a different brand in a seperate box near the CU.

Individual breakers must never be installed in parallel for whatever reason, think of the isolation dangers.

its not something i'd do on a permanent basis no but as a temporary measure (with everyone who is working on the system knowing about it) and with appropriate protection downstream i can't see a huge issue.

plugwash said:
its not something i'd do on a permanent basis no but as a temporary measure (with everyone who is working on the system knowing about it) and with appropriate protection downstream i can't see a huge issue.

Still against the regs. "I thought it would be all right m'lord for a short period"

so is leaving live wires sticking out of a switch/socket box covered with just insulation tape but i see sparkys do that all the time.

if its the old crabtree C50 range they are large brown mcbs you can still get them from bemco electrical or city electrical factors

plugwash said:

Plug, I would suggest you think about that statement VERY carefully, actually think about the circuit you are suggesting and whether it would work as desired, and then think about the hazards you are introducing.

It is this type of slap dash, cowboy ****** that has resulted in Part P.

hi

thanks for the replys

i believe the CU is a SB6000

they are white/grey and say type 1 on them

they have a normal screw connection on the top

the supply is bussed along the bottom by a copper strip
that a screw goes through onto the breaker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back