Cracked blocks below window - Help !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just replacing our upstairs bathroom and having removed plasterboard from the internal block-wall have uncovered vertical cracks from the cill downwards to floor level.....even splitting one of the blocks in two :eek: . The whole section below the window moves when pressure is applied so is very un-sound. Vertical movement seems to be about 1mm or so of the section below the window.....no sign of any cracks in the external bricks/pointing, and there are no windows/doors directly beneath....

The blocks are very lightweight affairs with what can only be described as 'sand' being used for cement :rolleyes: ! House is 1993 build.

I suspect since the section of blockwork is loose and I need to bond to it, then it would be best to remove the section (1m2), re-cement, and possibly tie into the surrounding blockwork but could do with some advice.....

Sponsored Links
Is it from the corner of the window ? Any picture would help.

Hi Masona thanks for the reply - the crack is from one corner of the window opening in the blockwork, vertically downwards - not sure how to get photos to you as I dont have a web-site..........as I say the external brickwork is apparently unaffected, and doesn't look like it has been re-pointed....we have been in the house 7 years.

Hi Masona thanks for the reply - the crack is from one corner of the window opening in the blockwork, vertically downwards - not sure how to get photos to you as I dont have a web-site..........as I say the external brickwork is apparently unaffected, and doesn't look like it has been re-pointed....we have been in the house 7 years.

Sussed it :cool:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.reed8/

Sponsored Links
No problem there, instead of plaster I would use sand/lime/cement render onto the celcon blocks and finish of with fine finish top plaster. The sand/cement will strengthen any loose blocks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back