Cracked plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got two questions.

I've just removed the paper from our landing wall (house is about 60 years old but this bit is over plasterboard). The plaster is fine apart from one area where it appears to be pitted (deep grooves and dark in colour). It's dry but I wonder if in the past it has been wet and not been treated. Any ideas on what is wrong with it ? Can I skim over it ?

Secondly, there are some thin cracks in parts of the plaster - slightly thicker than hairline. I don't really want to get the whole thing skimmed, but I spotted a tub of Polycell Basecoat for walls which is supposed to cover cracks and leave the walls in a good condition. Has anyone tried it -is it any good or is it rubbish ?

Sponsored Links
It's wear & tear of the Plaster. I would recomend you get a Pro-Plasterer in.

When you tap the plaster does it sound hollow if so it needs to come off, the depending on the size of the patch either use a onecoat patching plaster, but if it was me I would use a base coat like bonding or hardwall then skim and blend in the plaster and sand back slightly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back