Cracking in roughcast querry

24 May 2023
Reaction score
United Kingdom

After some advice here. I've seen a property advertised and looking on the home report (scotland) it has a category 2 for main walls. Just for reference, category 2 is defined "Repairs or replacement requiring future attention, but estimates are still advised."

Main walls are described as "There are areas of cracking to the walls through the roughcast finish."

How I'm reading that, I'm assuming it is cracking to the roughcast, as opposed to the walls are cracked behind the roughcast? Wondering how a surveyor, or anyone, could know what's behind the roughcast?

When I go to view, is there any tips to determine if the cracks are structural, or will this always be a cosmetic issue to the roughcast?

For reference, the property is a bungalow, so I'm guessing less chance of it being structural. It's a 90s property built with a cavity brick/block construction.

Any advice or tips greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
The surveyor is covering his back, he means both.

They dont but can’t exclude it as a possibility. You need to clarify it with them.

Sponsored Links
In my experience , Scottish rough cast (exterior walls) is granite chippings and neat cement cast layer over layer (scudding) and that sets like bell metal, that type of surface takes a lot to make it crack, look further into it is my advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local