Cracking Noise from bedroom Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The ceiling of my 1971 3 bed detached makes a sharp cracking noise during the night and sometimes during the day.
It sounds like some one clapping their hands together and is loud enough to wake the dead. My guess is it's to do with the change in temperature causing expansion and contraction in the plaster board ceiling. Can anyone offer a remedy short of ripping down the ceiling and replacing with a new one.

Sponsored Links
Are there any cracks in the ceiling? Sounds a bit loud for that. Have you had any new brick work or plastering done recently. We had a similar thing some years ago following the addition of a new extension. It was the extension settling and the plaster cracking, we found a few harline cracks after a couple of weeks. Do you have any pipe work in the ceiling, could be its too tight against a joist.

Thanks for your reply.
The upstairs WC cubical was removed which involved removing and replacing a small ceiling joist, but the areas above the bedrooms are well supported. We had a similar but more severe problem with the main adjacent bedroom before any alteration to the bathroom and WC. The only way I found to cure the problem was to completely remove the ceiling plaster board and renew, but not tie the edges into walls, as that's where some of the noise seemed to originate. It worked, but it was allot of trouble and mess, so I'm looking for an alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back