Cracks internally and question over brickwork outside

Joined
2 Sep 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hoping someone can offer some advice here. Got a late 60s build semi and noticed a number of internal cracks appearing. Some of these are on newer plaster work that we had done 3/4 years back (the white walls in the photos) and some are on plaster from when we moved in (So I imagine many years old). We have had hairline cracks on the newer plaster in the past and these tended to come and go in the seasons but a lot more have started to appear now and also on the older plaster work too which I find odd?
We have had the heating on much more than we ever had in the past over the last year or so including during day etc so unsure if this has any impact?

I'm finding cracks between the wall and ceiling in rooms now.

I had a look on the outside of the house and difficult to know if I'm now seeing things that were already there before and being paranoid but there is crack in the mortar and a couple of bricks cracked. Again can anyone offer any advice here please? The brickwork outside is bang over our drains so I had questioned is there issues there? But our drains etc all seem to work ok and no smells etc to indicate blockages etc?

The previous brickwork you can see was done when we moved in so dont know the history , I assume something to do with when boiler was moved/installed.

Appreciate may need to ask more questions but if anyone can help that would be great. It's driving me mad. Thanks in advance.

Older plaster between wall and ceiling
20180310_143936.jpg


Newer plaster
20180310_144147.jpg


New plaster
20180310_144243.jpg


Newer plaster. Horizontal crack appeared months ago but recently the crack over woodwork appeared
20180310_144402.jpg

Older plaster. Corner of room appeared recently
20180310_144503.jpg

External
20180309_164611.jpg


External mortar crack
20180309_164707.jpg
 
Sponsored Links
Joined
3 Sep 2006
Messages
35,897
Reaction score
4,968
Location
West Mids
Country
United Kingdom
Hairline cracks in plaster in those places are normal or seasonal shrinkage in 99% of the times. The other 1% they are in fact cobwebs.
 
Joined
2 Sep 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
Hairline cracks in plaster in those places are normal or seasonal shrinkage in 99% of the times. The other 1% they are in fact cobwebs.
Cheers Woody. Can that even happen in rooms where it hasn't happened in years and then they suddenly appear? On old plaster?

What about the brickwork photos / mortar crack running up the join?
 
Joined
3 Sep 2006
Messages
35,897
Reaction score
4,968
Location
West Mids
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers Woody. Can that even happen in rooms where it hasn't happened in years and then they suddenly appear? On old plaster?

What about the brickwork photos / mortar crack running up the join?
It takes a particular level of heat, humidity and time to create the right environment for shrinkage cracking, so yes it can be nothing for years and then crack.

That new brickwork looks like an extension so that's a very common place for a crack to occur which can be due to shrinkage, moisture or movement - all of which are natural and common.
 
Joined
2 Sep 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
It takes a particular level of heat, humidity and time to create the right environment for shrinkage cracking, so yes it can be nothing for years and then crack.

That new brickwork looks like an extension so that's a very common place for a crack to occur which can be due to shrinkage, moisture or movement - all of which are natural and common.

Ah ok that puts my mind at rest a bit thanks. It just seemed odd that all of a sudden cracks started appearing all over the house, hence my concerns.
You are correct that was an extension. Albeit an extension from years ago.
Given a couple of the bricks have cracked is that for the same reason? Again from looking at that it doesn't look to be anything you would be worried about? I think I have started to focus on every little crack outside now and become a bit paranoid so apologies for all the questions.
Is there anything I should be looking out for?
 
Sponsored Links
Joined
10 Jan 2017
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
121
Location
Derbyshire
Country
United Kingdom
Hairline cracks appear on the plaster in my bathroom - they come and go depending on how humid/warm/cold it is in there. One day there will be none easily visible, the next day there are several running around the walls in corners. I also see them appear around the wood stove when it's on, but when off they disappear.

As said before, it's when the cracks grow into gaps when you worry.
 
Joined
2 Sep 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
Hairline cracks appear on the plaster in my bathroom - they come and go depending on how humid/warm/cold it is in there. One day there will be none easily visible, the next day there are several running around the walls in corners. I also see them appear around the wood stove when it's on, but when off they disappear.

As said before, it's when the cracks grow into gaps when you worry.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye on them all but you guys have put my mind at rest.
 
Joined
2 Sep 2013
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Country
United Kingdom
Just to add to this I have noticed more cracks appearing through the brickwork outside. What causes this to happen? Naturally have concerns again given these are appearing.
Few photos for examples. Any advice greatly appreciated.
20180417_192818.jpg
20180417_192753.jpg
20180417_192723.jpg
 
Joined
14 Sep 2010
Messages
7,037
Reaction score
874
Location
Rochdale
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a big crack. In my kitchen, I replaced a rotten joist in the bathroom which the heating pipes attached too, turned the boiler on for the first time and I think the joist twisted slightly and cracked the joint near the wall and ceiling :(
 
Joined
3 Sep 2006
Messages
35,897
Reaction score
4,968
Location
West Mids
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a big crack. In my kitchen, I replaced a rotten joist in the bathroom which the heating pipes attached too, turned the boiler on for the first time and I think the joist twisted slightly and cracked the joint near the wall and ceiling :(
That's lovely.

Anything else you'd like to share? How's the wife? Work OK?
 
Joined
14 Sep 2010
Messages
7,037
Reaction score
874
Location
Rochdale
Country
United Kingdom
We aren't actually married but she is good, has stiff hands in a morning which is strange but other than that can't complain.

You know how the drainage game is, same ****, different day.
 
Sponsored Links
Top