creaking pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My heating system has started creaking. It starts as soon as the pump kicks in and then some of the rads and pipes tick as it heats and cools.
Worcester combi boiler and the system is about 7 years old. Have bled the system till I am blue in the face, not a lot of air. Is this just a problem with the pipes running through the joists? Or can I cure it by upping the inhibitor concentration?

Sponsored Links
it's probably a pipe rubbing on a notch in a joist. If you ease the notch and wrap the pipes in felt they can slide without noise.

If its a radiator (more often a ticking noise) there is a plastic thing you can put on the brackets.

I bet if someone was paying CLF he'd fix it for them ;)

Sponsored Links
I always use tubular hairfelt around all my pipes that cross joists or risk touching anything.

Well I guess the floor boards are coming up then because the noise is enough to disturb my beauty sleep and God knows I need it.

When you put the boards back down use screws so the dont creeck.

Dont go through the pipes :oops: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back