Creating a fall in wet room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am making a wet room using 12.5mm Wedi backer over chipboard. I can't access the joists below the chipboard so can I just create a fall by feathering the tile adhesive or would I need to use another method?

I don't really want to raise the floor in the shower area because there would then be a step in the bathroom floor.

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
keep_it_simple

you need to use wedges under the backer board an then screw it down an
create the correct fall
look here
http://www.wedi.co.uk/tileback.htm
btw make sure your butt joints are taped over an seal with ARDEX-FLEX or bal mud
hope this helps , ;)

Moz said:
you need to use wedges under the backer board an then screw it down an
create the correct fall

Wedi say that there should be no airspaces between their board and the sub floor though so battens or wedges would need to be covered by a sheet material which would mean putting a step in the floor.

They even go so far as to say when you put the adhesive down onto the sheet flooring (ie the plywood/chipboard whatever) and lay the wedi backer over it you shouldn't use a notched trowel!

Is feathering the adhesive layer between the chipboard and the wedi board a deffo a no-go then, even if it's built up in layers? I thought maybe I could put half the fall between the cghipboard and the wedi backer, and the other half between the wedi backer and the tiles! Or what about using some other sort of compound and putting the required slope in that?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
keep_it_simple

wedi is ok ... on a cement fall ;)

btw always use the notched trowel , you aint a pro an notches are best , an always good for me too.. lol..... :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back