Crumbly brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hubby tried to drill holes in the wall next to a window to put up a curtain rail. The brickwork just crumbled away, so now there is a hole about 2 x 2 inches. Its right under the guttering in our 100 year old house (roof and guttering done about 7 years ago). Can it be repaired with the expanding foam stuff and will it hold? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Better to fill with a sand and cement mix I think.

Does the hole go right through from inside to out?

Mix 3 parts sand to 1 part cement (mix together thoroughly before adding water) and then slowly add small amounts of water while mixing.

Once set you'll be able to drill into it and mount that curtain rail.

Of course, yes, you can use that expanding foam stuff but personally I wouldn't. It's the prodict of the devil! I hate the stuff.

regards

Fred

I have a similar problem, which I noticed when trying to put some curtains up. Walls are plastered and there seems to be a cm or so gap then it's brick. When I drill the holes I got through to the brick which just seemed to be rubble! I was able to poke my finger in and it was all a bit lose..

Any ideas of what I should do?? Strip the plaster off and bare it back for a good look? (the room needs re-plastering anyway)

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back