Crying in frustration

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date

2scoops0406

Any DIY'er tried to plaster a ceiling .... what a laugh! :evil:

Sponsored Links
I'm halfway through mine, I decided to use "one coat" plaster. Yeh, great stuff that is on ceilings! The wall I did was fine, but ceilings are a bu**er.

So I am going to go over it with multi-finish this weekend.

Here is what I did:

I bought some of those plaster-guides (metal beads that screw to whatever it is you are plastering) at Wickes. They only had 6mm, I would have preferred 3mm but hey.

Now, you are meant to use these at about a 30" interval I believe. I realised that seeing as you have to buy them in packs of 10, and that my trowel is about 25-30cm long, I may as well put them 20cm apart and not require any skill! Just scoot the trowel along using the guides as, well, guides. :D

It is working well, only problem I had is with the consistency of the plaster. The first batch I made (that I used on a wall) was perfect. The batch I made for the ceiling was too watery so I added more plaster... This made it hard to work with and prone to falling off if not pressed very carefully into the gaps! :evil:

It is new plasterboard, I don't think this would work so well if you were skimming an old artexed ceiling.

Sponsored Links
6 mm, that's deep plaster isn't it, or have I misunderstood?

plastering is the dark art! most people (!) can turn there hand to a lot of things but,plastering,no,no,no! .when you consider the prices plumbers and sparkys quote and then see what a decent spread comes in at you'll realise that it aint worth it (by all means give it a go!) seeing as the plaster is the finish get someone in who knows how to do it! (it isnt worth the tears!)

I blo**dy hate my plasterer. It's his fault I gave this a go. :cry: If he had shown up then I wouldn't have had to try to do it myself and wasted a week in DIY time (should be putting in the lights today, instead trying to get a flat ceiling).

The finish on the ceiling is OK, but it will drive me mad leaving it as that, so I am going to give the bu**er a call and see if he still wants the job.

Damn his eyes, damn his trowel. May his Transit break down repeatedly, and his plaster mix be runny AND lumpy.

No Eddie, you didn't misunderstand, 6mm. I thought it would make it easier. I was wrong!

For Sale: Hawk, Trowel, mixing paddle, owner has no further use for said items. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ive had a shot at plastering a few walls and a ceiling and I dont see what the fuss is about. Im a good Diyer but have never ever in my life plastered anything before.

After the seeing the pros plastering my new extension I decided I would try myself in the house walls - as they needed re-skimming.

Used thisle multi finnish. Applied it with a trowel making sure I got an even depth all over. Waited a while and then went over it again to roughly smooth it out. Then more waiting and then just gently pushed my finger into the plaster. If it felt hardish then time to go over it for the smooth finnish. Got it nice and smooth - probably took a while longer than the pros but I sure as hell saved alot of money.

A bag of finnish only cost about £4 yet the labour charge is astounding. But if you are a good diyer and can turn your hand to anything you should definatly give it a go. Its not as hard as it looks. Walls are pretty easy, although ceilings can be tricky.

In fact I got my finnish smoother than the pros and ive never even plastered before! Just takes patientance and determination and you are well on your way to saving a few bob. ;)

benjiman said:
In fact I got my finnish smoother than the pros

Are you sure about that? ;) I am not doubting you, but when I spend 3 hours cooking a sumptuous dinner it always tastes better than if some amazing chef had prepared it for £100s. But to someone else they might find the chef did it better.

If you can plaster as well as a pro, then well done, and convince the wife that the £800 you saved should go towards that plasma screen. :D

The guy I got to do my ceiling (after my disaster with the beads), he went over the dodgy finish and it is now so level that you can put a spirit level on it and the ceiling is dead flat! He only used a standard trowel and hawk, no big scraper. I was amazed when I saw just how flat a good plasterer can get something just by eyeball and feel. :eek:

The thing I hate about ceilings it the raging headache I get. If I stand with my head cocked back too long, it gives me a blinder. Painting them, stripping them, anything to do with ceilings just brings on a mighty migraine. Is this just me? or do plasterers just get used to it?

I read that plasterers are prone to heart attacks in later life, doing all that work above your head puts a strain on your heart. Possibly it might be related to breathing dust. I dunno, but it is a job that has the potential to cause a lot of health problems. I have never seen a plasterer wear a mask when they make up their mix. :confused:

Perhaps if you got a mirror on a pole, like dentists use to look at the back of your teeth only bigger? :D Then you could look forwards and paint.

AdamW said:
If you can plaster as well as a pro, then well done, and convince the wife that the £800 you saved should go towards that plasma screen.

No, no, no!!!!

You got it wrong way round. You take the money to "pay" the plasterer, DIY, and then pocket the 800 sovs - do that a couple of times and you've got your TV!

benjiman said:
Its not as hard as it looks
That depends on who you watch. I know some pretty s**t hot plasterers. They make it look easier than breaking an egg with a sledge hammer. If it was twice as hard as these blokes make it look, it would still be a walk in the park.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back