Cut Roof Support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is 45 years old mid terraced.In the loft space, one of the long wooden supports that runs horizontal then into the walls at each end, has a diagonal cut in it.Looks like it was a way of joining the timber together.There is now a gap appearing between the cut.The roof from the outside is now sagging.What can I do?Asked insurance company but they say it`s a falt when the house was built.I don`t have any spare money, so need a cheap way of stopping it getting worse.Thanks.Viv.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It`s a Purlin ....and the cut should be zig zag.....scarf cut.............good chance it can be braced to stop furter sag........no need to worry too much ;)

Hi there,
Sorry I have been so long replying. I dropped the camera, breaking it, so I had to then borrow one. Then the PC crashed on me! Not my week...Oh well here it is.[/img]
Errr. How do I attach the pic?
Viv.[/img]

You need someone to host the pic for you and then you can link it to this site. www.photobucket.com is free. Once uploaded, copy the URL with the

Thanks Mw Roofline,
Hope I have done this right.
601aa055.jpg
and
06616be1.jpg
Hopefully thats right!!
Will be grateful for your opinion.
Viv.

Right, straight forward to do, 2 length of 8" x 2" on top & bottom of the purlin, coach bolts with timber connectors and square metal plate both side, you will not be able to bend back the purlin but this will make stronger and prevent any more movement, make sure the bolts are long enough to allow for tightening with the timber connectors. Can you also do another photo as I can't see any strut supports for the purlin and what is the length of the purlin?

Staggered the bolts so it's not in line

p1884811_l.jpg

then use plate washer

p1703387_l.jpg

8"x2" timber and timber connector in between the timber

p1704550_l.jpg

and the same on the other end

OOI, Masona, that cut looks fairly fresh. Is it unusual to have a cut like that with nothing underneath it to support the join?

No, I have seen many purlins like that :!:

Normally people removed the supports 'cos they are in the way :LOL:

Thanks Masona,
That is a great help. I cannot take any more pics as I broke my camera getting out the loft last time!! The purlin is the width of the house, 17ft. As far as I know the cut has been there since the house was built. There are two supports about 4ft away from each end wall. They are 2inx1in and dont look like they are doing much good, they are screwed in with just one screw in the purlin and one in the joist.
The roof from the front of the house does look like there is a sag in the middle.
Viv.

vivyorks said:
The purlin is the width of the house, 17ft. As far as I know the cut has been there since the house was built.
That's okay, get the longest length of 8"x2" as possible.
There are two supports about 4ft away from each end wall. They are 2inx1in
Run another 4"x2" on the side of the 2"x1"and notched over the purlin.
The roof from the front of the house does look like there is a sag in the middle.
You're not alone, my roof sag about 100mm in the middle but it won't be going anywhere now :!:

Hi Masona,
Just had another look at the purlin. The place where it is cut has twisted a bit and looks like fixing will be difficult. It has also had a screw put through the cut from the underneath going upwards. You can see part of the screw in the opening that has now appeared. When you say attach the wood to the purling, do you mean from the front to the back? If I go upwards I would need a bolt a foot long! The purling is 6"x3", should I get the wood the same size and attach it to front and back? You obviously know what your talking about and I am grateful for you letting me pick your brains like this :) I just want to make sure I`m following your instructions right. Also, do you think this is a job I can do? I am a woman but not frightened to get stuck in.
Viv.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back