Cutting already installed laminate floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can offer good advice

We are about to get a gas fire and fireplace installed in our fairly new house. The problem I have is that we have a glued laminate floor in the room.

I need to cut out an area to allow the granite hearth to be fitted. I think the best solution would be to use a circular saw with the depth set to the same as the floor. My worry is that the saw will cause chipping on the laminate surface as I believe you should saw face side down if you use a portable circular saw due to the direction of rotation.

AM I correct ? or is there a better solution....

Cheers

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes, you are correct, but..
After you cut the laminate and installed the granite hearth, you can cover the 'expansion' gap (and so that part of the laminate boards with the damage from the circular saw) with flat beading (or trim or squadrant etc).

In my eye the most simple solution?

Thanks

OK that was going to be my worst case scenario!! ...well actually the worst case would be taking up the complete floor!

I guess a fine blade will help minimise damage...

Thanks for the advice :)

Cheers

Stuart

stuartmunn said:
I guess a fine blade will help minimise damage...

Dont' forget to check if the 'gliders' (not sure of correct word) of the circular saw aren't damaged.
And take you time ;)

Sponsored Links
I think I'll have a trial run on some of the leftover laminate up in the attic ... :D

If you lay some hardboard or similar over the area you want to cut, then cut through the hardboard it will minimise the chipping of the laminate. Obviously you will have to make sure the hardboard can't move!!

Yes the problem is how do I stop that from moving I can't clamp it to anything ...

I could glue some of that edging material onto the laminate and cut through that and then remove it carefully ?

Could you use a piece big enough for someone to stand on while you cut?

just use a fine toothed blade and as WYL said you will need to cover your expansion gap with some quad, scotia or similar so won't see the chips anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back