CUTTING GRANITE WORKTOPS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,i just need some help please, im just fitting a new kitchen in my house and i cant decide what worktops to go for,i`ve seen some i like on the screw fix website but there granite,im just wondering how easy they are to cut?? . I guess i can use a angle grinder with a diamond cutting disc but im looking to fit a round sink and round drainer but not sure how to go about cutting those out ,is there anyway i can use a router?? ,the worktops are 12mm thick ,cheers

Sponsored Links
Best advise is to get the pros in. I watched a pro team (man and lad) arrive early one Friday morning to fit granite worktops for neighbour whom I was working for. The guys were at it all day. I finished at half five and they were still at it. Looked really fed up. The problem is those cut edges need to be polished and beveled. They did use a disk and a router for cutting.

Thanks for that mate but i wont need to cut the polished edges as they come in metre lenghs so all i need to do is join them together i think, all i need to know is how hard it is to cut out a round hole for the sink and a hole for the tapes, its only 12mm thick so im thinking it cant be that hard can it ??

Nothin' to it. Drill a quick hole then a Black and Decker jigsaw with a diamond blade. 1/2 hour I should think. Yeah, that should do it....., mmmm......... :evil:

(You could try getting someone in, who has made their mistakes on someone elses job..........)

Sponsored Links
Unseen straight cuts are just about possible for a DIYer but anything else should be left to a pro. They will use what looks like a router but is watercooled and uses diamond cutters for the large round sink holes. Tap holes can be done using a diamond core drill but you have to do them without the pilot pin so need to know how to start the cut without it skidding all over the worktop.

You will also need plenty of clamps to hold the front trims in place while the glue sets and they should then really be polished flush using a Flex polisher and a range of diamond abrasive pads. The same goes for any cut edges.

And don't forget that its cheap imported Chinese granite that has been dyed with a black resin based dye that is likely to fade in a few years leaving you with a grey worktop not the Nero Assoluto or Star Galaxy that you thought you were getting the look of :!:

Jason

Thanks for the advice Jason, think i`ll give the granite a miss and stick to a normal worktop then :cry: shame

Changed my mind and went for the granite worktop in the end and glad i did ,just incase anyone out there is interested in fitting granite worktops then all i can say is go for it, its so easy to cut all you need is a diamond tip cutting disc B&Q £10 and a angle grinder, it will take you a day including plenty of tea breaks and looks so much better than laminate .

Yes i did ,after ordering it last tuesday it came by thursday so really quick delivery and it looks really nice ,all 4 edges are polished so i`ve even managed to put in a island unit with hob and no need to polish anything,the wifes happy with it,hopefully i can keep her in the kitchen a bit longer now ;)

It's too cold for my likes. Makes your mug of tea cold in no time.

Hi,

No it doesn't. You just can't buck the laws of physics. We have 30mm Indian granite and it soon adjusted to the ambient temperature of the kitchen. It remains at a not warm, not cool temp, a cup of tea does not go cold any more quickly than if it were on a wooden table!

Rgds.

Keeps your beer cold and as the aussies say , well you wouldn`t want a warm one would you ;)

How do you cut a sink hole in the proper 30 mm stuff?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back