Cutting holes in joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of moving my (electricity) consumer unit and need to move some of the wiring. The route that I want (or can only) take is through 2 joists. Basically, is it safe to drill a hole using a 50-60mm flat bit through a joist? Will the joist still be strong enough after? (The joist is about 6.5 inches in height). Is it better to drill the hole near the top of the joist or through the middle? I'm working from underneath if that helps as I already have the ceiling removed.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
60mm sounds a bit big for a hole, would suggest two smaller ones. The location should be in the middle rather than nearer the top - avoids nails coming down from above!

Yeah, I should have clarified that a bit - 60mm in width. But I take your point. I'll do it in two or three holes along the middle. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Holes in joists should not be greater than 0.25 x joist depth. They should be on the centre line between 0.25 and 0.4 x span, measured from either end. Multiple holes should be at least three diameters apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back