Cutting holes through joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want to route 22mm flow/return CH plastic pipes to rads and I want to drill holes through the joists to feed the pipes through instead of cutting slots on the top with a saw.
However, the joists are too close together to get a drill in between to cut a hole that is at right angles.
Is there a specific tool available that does this, or is it the normal practice to cuts slots in the top of the joists to accomodate CH pipes ?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
lonspwi said:
Is there a specific tool available that does this,

Yes, 90 degree chuck fitting, available at any tool supplier.

Or right-angle drill - but as relatively expensive,tends to be trade use (not worth it for a one-off job)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies - just bought a right angled drill attachment from Ebay !

Make the hole a fair bit bigger than the 22mm pipe - it always wants to curve somewhere. There are rules in the building regs about notches and holes in joists, suggest you have a look.

For ages I uses a pair of spade bits, one with the shank cut right down. Then I could fit a diy type electric drill in, swap bits, and finish the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back