cutting perfect grooves for shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just like to make things with wood so am still learning :D

I,m looking at building a dvd shelving unit with doors and would like to cut grooves for the dvd's to slide into on the shelves, i know this is going to be long winded but think once done properly will look great. Just not sure the easiset way to make them all even, as i,d like to have them fit to the top and bottom of the shelves so held in place.
I,m sure i can buy somthing cheaper or easier but the fun is in the building so any help would be good. :confused:

Martin

Sponsored Links
heeellloo gatesmr2 :D:D:D

you could do this with a router, buiscut cutter, pullsaw and a few others

but your talking nighmare senario
you either need to clamp the work measure and clamp a batton maybe twice or more for each individual slot

or set up a router table or pull saw with length stop and cut every component once then move to cut a further part slot or full slot if its a woble saw or correct width router cutter

you would not only cut slots on all component but you would flip it and start youre grooves from the other end also [and meet in the middle :LOL: ]

Thanks al

i have a router and intended using this but if you think it,s going to be a nightmare can you surgest any other way to hold the dvd's in place.
money (within limits :D ) and time are not a problem just enjoy working with wood and this is my second project for in the house.
I want it to be around 6ft high as i,m looking to make a matching bookcase later, with this in mind i,m looking at a few shelves :confused:

Thanks

Martin

if they are horizontal you could put a partition every 10 or so make the rack about 20mm smaller then you just hook the cd/dvd/video out with your fingers

i personaly think your better off bying the racks and making a multi layerd multi depth cabinet to fit them in

Sponsored Links
AS BA says a divider every 10 DVDs or so will allow you to store almost 50% more as you will have to leave a good 10-12mm between each one otherwise. Thats how I did this CD unit.

If you do go the individual groove route then clamp the two sided flat on a workbench with the front faces touching and route across the two sides at the same time so all grooves line up. A guide that slips into the previously routed groove will keep the spacing even, just move it up as you route the next groove etc

Woodfit do DVD racks that fit to the side of a cabinet, there site is down at the moment but search for item No DV 165 www.woodfit.com

Jason

As Norm might say, build yourself a jig. If you don't know what one of those is, then ignore this post!

WabbitPoo said:
As Norm might say, build yourself a jig. If you don't know what one of those is, then ignore this post!

I'd agree with Jason's suggestion. If you are determined to try it then consider this as an expansion of the idea for a quick jig: (I'm assuming that you don't have a router table)

You'll need router, a straight bit (dia <= to the slot you want), a router guide bush and a scrap of 12mm mdf.

mill a slot in from one side of the mdf, of a width matching the guide bush diameter and length greater than the shelf board width. If your cutter is narrower than the slot you require add the difference to the slot width.

The idea is that the router with guide bush runs in the slot and so controls the movement of the router. Take some care to get the sides parallel.

Attach a piece of timber at 90 degrees to the slot to help align the jig on the workpiece.

Now if you clamp this to the shelf you can cut your first rabbet - preferably practice on some scrap until you have perfected the technique.

If the spacing of the rabbets and the size of guid bush permits you may also be able to screw a small block of rabbet sized scrap to the underside of the jig to control the spacing of the 2nd and subsequent slots.

Also consider cutting the rabbets prior to cutting the shelves to their final width as there may be a certain amount of breakout from the router cutter which you can then saw/plane away. Jason's comment about doing two at once makes much sense too.

I hope that is useful? Harder to explain than do - if have a similar one around that I can photograph if it helps.

Colin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back