cutting / pipe length ways

B

breezer

I am up to one my ideas again.

just dont ask what it is (YET) but i need to have some narrow gutter, i figured 40mm push fit pipe will be ideal if it wasnt round.

so what is the best way to cut it down the middle, perfectly in half?

I was thinking a table saw would be good, but i dont have one and i am no chippy, so it would only be a one off

(oh and the idea involves leds)

Sponsored Links
p3270035_x.jpg

Something like this is good for cutting plastic

the trouble with cutting a plasic pipe you need to support it on both sides at least 1/2 way up to stop rocking[side to side movement]

you also have to be 100% strait with your cut if you accidently rotate the pipe as you push by say 0.5mm every time you reposition your hands over a 3m length youll be 20mm out one end to the other :D

also having to cut the unsuported top wall of the pipe at the same time as the bottom may crack the plastic

to do the cutting in 2 passes [top and bottom ] requires the removal of the riving knife and guard on all but the better machines

hmm, i thinl i will have to cut it in smaller bits then :cry:

i can not justify a table saw for a one off job, as i said i am no chippie and have no use for one

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
hmm, i thinl i will have to cut it in smaller bits then :cry:

i can not justify a table saw for a one off job, as i said i am no chippie and have no use for one

i should also mention the reason i know all this is i have experimented with plastic drain pipe as i want smaller round gutters for my shed
and suffered all these problems :D :D :D ;)
i will give you a shout when i find the answer :D ;)

why not use smaller shed type guttering or does it have to be 40mm?

thanks Thermo.

no, i used small guttering some time ago on another project, it was very thin and easy (too easy) to break

as i said i have given up the idea of tube, as i overlooked the obvious, Trunking.

see my new post here

Theres a range thats about 3" wide, looks just the same as the proper stuff.... but smaller :LOL:

Or is it too big for your application?

Thanks for the thought, but i have given up and got a better idea

breezer said:
..............as i said i have given up the idea of tube, as i overlooked the obvious, Trunking.

see my new post here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back