Cutting Slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been cutting paving slabs with my angle grinder which has a diamond disc. It seems to take ages so I was wondering if I should be using a stone disc.

Any tips would be gratefully received. :D

Sponsored Links
Nothing beats a good diamond cutter. Maybe it's not a particularly good one?

Best is a diamond blade. depeneds on the type of slab and how recently they have been cast. Some can still be soft in the middle which causes the blade to cut inefficently, and some can just be damn right hard. A stone disc will wear out in no time if the diamond disc is struggling

I have cut some with a stone disc and they do wear out quickly. But I found it best to cut a groove in the slab, on both sides, then split the slab with a lump hammer and cold chisel. The finished edge is not smooth, but was ok for the purpose I wanted.

Sponsored Links
I've struggled on with the same blade.

I've found that you can cut half way thru the slab then whack it with a rubber mallet and it breaks in two.

Has been a pain but all done now :D

Thanks for replies lads. :D

all depends on what kind of slab you are cutting
concrete, natural stone or indian/bradstone all require different blades.
go to a decent retailer who will be able to advise you on which type of diamond blade to get (If you want something decent then it involves a indecent amount of cash)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back