damaged dry lining board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my dry lining board has been damaged the top layer has been gouged with wall paper stripping its all over the house i dont want to paper it again i would like to emulsion it i cant afford it re plastering can i use anything to fill it my self it a large house and lots of rooms

Sponsored Links
As Breezer says, use filler.

Make sure you sand it afterwards as if the gouges are like the ones I am thinking of then you might end up with little bits of plasterboard paper poking above the filler surface. Sanding will take these off after the filler has dried.

Polyfilla will give you the best result but it's going to take a long time by the sound of it. However, if you do decide to do it that way make sure that you put a light by the wall to highlight all the blemishes otherwise you'll miss some until you start to put the paint on (or normally when you've finished, are sitting down and put a table lamp on.)

I've used polyfilla in the past (I too have a dry lined house). You need to leave it ever so slightly proud when applying and then lightly rub with fine sandpaper once dry. I've found that if you smooth it over with a palette knife you will make the finish too smooth and it will show once painted.

Sponsored Links
If it's that bad I recommend filling the worst bits and then covering with medium duty lining paper. It might look pretty awful otherwise, I speak from personal experience here. "you want to put lining paper up before you paint it" they said "nah, it'll be fine if i fill it carefully" says I. It looked awful, it got lining paper. :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back