damp chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an open fire in our front room and there is a lot of damp around the chimney breast. It is actually damp rather than any staining coming through from the chimney.

The chimney breast is on an outside wall and the pointing seems fine on the wall.

Do any of your roofing experts have any suggestion as to what might be causing this problem? I can't get up on the roof/chimney to see what it might be so any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I`m guessing a bungalow :?: could be a flashing problem.......biggest problem is finding a good roofer/builder........ask @ local citizen`s advice :idea: or council trusted trades type scheme

No, it's not a bungalow, it's a victorian semi. The problem is in the downsairs living room. For various reasons, I can;t see if there is a similar problem upstairs.

where on the breast in relation to the fire opening :?: ...wouldn`t think it was from the roof in a 2 storey house :confused:

Sponsored Links
Defective flashing or tiles would typically give staining to the upper room. It would be very bad leak if the lower floor got wet too

Other possibilities are either penetratioin through the brickwork (use Thompsons sealant), or defective flauncing and or pot causing rain to go down the flue, the type of fuel used, a partially blocked or dirty flue.

A better description of the damp and location would help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back