damp coming through wall..

R

ryoc

I have an area of damp in my cellar, along one wall were it meets the floor. I have had a heater on down there for a few days and it is much improved. Is there something I could paint on to the damp area to help keep it back? Thanks :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
It is below the dpc. I guess cellars often a bit damp..Locating the cause might be a bit tricky. There are no pipes or drains etc. in the area.

Unfortunately, in the case of most old cellars the cause of the problem is that they were never intended to be dry, habitable environments in the first place. Fortunately they can be upgraded, although it costs money to do it properly.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Frederick.
The cellar is only for storage. I would just like to 'seal up' the small area that is causing the problem if possible..

Unforturnately, that's easier said than done. Products like Vandex BB75 are very good at holding back damp in cellars (provided that the substrate is properly prepared). However, if you just seal up a patch the damp will just find its way round and reappear somewhere else on the wall. For a permenant solution, you will really need to seal all the walls in the cellar (known as tanking).

Thanks for that, I will look into the tanking option.
Cheers :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back