Damp Course

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, thanks for having a read of this.

I recently moved house and the garage has a damp course, some sort of membrain (1 brick level above the concrete floor - is this normal?).

I noticed that a damp patch was occuring on the floor by the 'personnel' door. The buidlers returned and moved the door slab on the outside down a brick level and put a plastic 'spacer' between the slab and brick wall. All now seems OK.

I noticed then that the outside soil level was very close to the damp course. On looking inside the garage (moving the shelves) that damp patches were on the garage floor also.

I dug the soil away from against the garage wall to about 3 bricks below the damp course and things appear to have dried out nicely. The garage wall is typically only one brick deep.

I guess my questions are is it normal for the damp course to be above the concrete floor and do I need to do any more (other than adjust the level of my garden!)? Is it worth painting the wall in water proof paint?

Sorry if this is obvious, but I just want to know it is right - or if not what to do about it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ruggie
there is nothing to do with your fine 'damp course'. Besides - a damp proof course in masonry work will not work better against 'rising damp' than a normal mortar: There is no capillarity between fine pored stone (like bricks) and bigger pored mortar at all. Try it out with two bricks with mortar joint between them. Against water pressure from the soil, condensating air dampness in cold part of the wall surface, a burden with hygroscoping salts in the wall and rain spraying a horizontal damp proof course will not work even.

Good Luck

url removed as advertising

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back