Damp - good or bad idea to use thermal plasterboard? please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've posted on here before and been given very useful, comprehensive information and I'm hoping you can again please. I've read the post about rising damp with interest as its related to a problem I'm having.

After browsing I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to remove the old (approx 15 yrs)plaster (only 5mm-10mm thick) and use polystyrene backed thermal plasterboard in the kitchen before we have a new kitchen fitted.

When we remortgaged several years ago the surveyor mentioned damp readings all over the kitchen walls, the injected damp proof course is thought not to be a fault (installed 15 yrs ago). The damp company reckon condensation, no heat, no extractor and a north facing position with draughts where its shaded from sunlight may be causing these readings. There don't appear to be any roof leaks or any others factors. There are no visible signs of damp or rising damp. The house is an end edwardian terrace with 2 course thick solid brick walls.

Along with the new kitchen we're having 2 rads, and a hood extractor. I hope this will prevent any major damp problems in the future and cure the existing problem. This kitchen installation is planned to be carried out within the next few weeks.

I'd love some advise please on:

I'm wondering that if the brick has been damp/wet that if we just have the existing plaster skimmed (as we originally intended) it will penetrate through and damage the kitchen units?

If we use thermal board (dotted and dabbed) to help prevent any condensation will this trap moisture in the bricks and/or within the kitchen and cause problems? (The outside of the walls have been painted with waterproof Pva (I think) since it was repointed.)

Or will polythene backed thermal board help stop any damp in the walls damaging the units, is polythene waterproof or permeable?

Could we paint on waterproof sealer of some kind on the inside of the wall before plasterboarding to prevent any moisture ingress?

Am I worrying about nothing... if skimmed and given heat and extraction will the walls dry out within a few months anyway?

I'd prefer not to batten board because its a very small kitchen anyway.

I'd like the walls to dry out as quickly as possible because we plan to sell the house in the summer, and I've read about surveyors missusing their damp meters and blaming damp course problems leading to mortgage witholding etc.

I want to do the right thing and not cause problems for future buyers (we've had to put right lots of things done by the previous owners), so any advice or other options would be gratefully received.

Thank you for reading all this and for any replies.

Amanda ;)

Sponsored Links
amandaeb said:
Am I worrying about nothing... if skimmed and given heat and extraction will the walls dry out within a few months anyway?

Amanda ;)

That should be fine, I woudn't worry about it if condensation was the original problem. As long as you keep the rads on on cold days and run the extractor everytime you cook, that should sort it out.

Assuming you don't have a massive kitchen and tiny extractor fan :)

Hi Deluks

Thank you for your reply. Its a small kitchen, only 2mx3m. I'll do as you suggest with the rads and extractor.

Thanks again

Amanda

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back