damp patch downwstairs wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my house was given a internal wall insulation pumped through holes made on exterior walls, i have noticed of late on the inside wall of my living room a damp patch just above skerting board, the roof was checked but nothing found, the damp does not come from above ie it doesnt seem to be a roof leak going down the wall. there's no damp aptch in upstairs rooms. what could be the problem

Sponsored Links
Could be lack of ventilation or condensation trap causes by furnitures close to the walls therefore no air movement. Your room now will be warmer therefore moisture & condensation need to get out!

Unless the dpc is bridging somewhere

sounds like a candidate for cavity breach across the first course of tie wires at dpc level.

Sponsored Links
and the open cavity kept the snot of pug dry then came the Cavity fill :cry: .....the installers may well have insurance against this "latent defect" that is not their fault....but that of the original brickies labourer who should`ve cleaned the ties with a bit of batten

a good sympathetic brickie could drill the mortar joints out of the bricks, open up the cavity, and remove any cavity breaching material.

the bricks could then be dressed and re laid using similar mortar. this will depend largely on the existing masonry, and if it is indeed a cavity breach.

it would be wise to see if your existing bricks can be matched at a local builders yard, in case of any breakages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back