damp patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought an Edwardian home, and after heavy rain get damp patches appearing around the base/sides of the chimney breast. These dry out after about 1 day. The fire is a living flame gas. The chimney passes through bedroom above and there are no problems there. Anyone have any ideas?? I had it checked for rising damp s oits not that?????

Sponsored Links
If it's not water coming 'up', then it must be coming down.
How can it get down?
I reckon the lining of your flue-pipe is not sealed around the chimney top for whatever reason, and the rain is running down the outside of it, pooling at the lowest point which is your base.
Simple enough job to check and repair for a roofer. ;)

You're gonna hate me and stick pins in an effigy if you knew what I look like.

Sounds very much like the cement haunching on the chimney stack is badly cracked around the pot, unless you can act like a monkey and climb on to the roof I'm afraid it's a job for a builder.

Get three estimates and or ask around neighbours if they can recommend a builder.

Sponsored Links
greengrass said:
You're gonna hate me and stick pins in an effigy if you knew what I look like.

Sounds very much like the cement haunching on the chimney stack is badly cracked around the pot, unless you can act like a monkey and climb on to the roof I'm afraid it's a job for a builder.

Get three estimates and or ask around neighbours if they can recommend a builder.
Sorry, but I imagine you like Greengrassss in Heartbeat.have known tru life characters like that in Sussex ;)

Johnboy54 said:
There you go!
You've now got it in duplicate.
And still no sign of a 'thanks'. :(
Don`t pick on this poster they are all like it :rolleyes: That`s why I just take the **** now..Goodness knows how some of the guys stay with it :?: particularly on the plumbing/heating forum :eek:

I know its a bit late but before you go to the expense of getting somebody to repoint the flaunching around your chimney, I would check re the possibility of rising damp. In my experience this is the most likely cause owing to the difficulty in achieving an effective dpc around the base of a stack. You say that it disappears after a day, and you say that it is not showing at first floor level, both these go to confirm my opinion that the problem is at ground level. If it was my house I would be inclined to remove the damp plaster and render the affected areas using a 2.5 to 1 sand and cement mix with a multi skim finish. At the very worse, if I am wrong it will onlly cost you a few pounds for the sand and cement, rather than many hundreds if you get involved with the stack

And I could have given you the numbers of a couple of good roofers in Nottingham had you the good manners to have acknowledged the other posters with a little thanks.

:LOL:
Apologies for not responding - 1st time user so not sure of protocal. Have had rising damp ruled out as appearing at about 6ft in middle of breast!!

no12rugby said:
:LOL:
Apologies for not responding - 1st time user so not sure of protocal. Have had rising damp ruled out as appearing at about 6ft in middle of breast!!

Still no 'thanks' then!

Fair enough... :D If you go into John E. Strephens the Roofers merchants in Lenton Industrial estate( facing the multi plex) and ask for the number of Roy Foster, if indeed it is a roof related problem then you will be in good hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back