Damp Patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought myself a damp meter from B&Q. When using it I've found several patches in my kitchen where it screams out that it's damp. These seem to be at random places round the wall. I'd have thought if it were rising damp it would show damp at the bottom of the wal and then upwards but in many cases it seems to be only half way up the wall. Some are internal walls, some are ajoining walls and some are externall walls. Is this normal for damp to have random patches? And what's the best approach to get this fixed?

Sponsored Links
Better still, take it back and get a refund :rolleyes:

The only good thing with a DIY meter is that the battery can be removed and put into something more useful

All porous materials will have some moisture content. On others, the meter is measuring the surface moisture. Either way, the meter is most likely callibrated for timber not plaster.

If you had a damp problem, you would most likely see it and/or smell it

did you sneeze@ the wall before you measured ;)

Sponsored Links
You say it's in your kitchen. Is that the only damp-seeming room? Are the windows misty inside in the morning? Do you boil kettles and pans in there without using an extractor? Do you iron in there? Do you leave damp washing in the room? Does your sink leak? Are you feeling bare plaster and brick or is it decorated? How old is the house? Is the floor concrete or wood? What triggered you to buy the dampmeter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back