Damp proof membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of building a concrete base for a concrete section garage. I have a question regarding the damp proof membrane between the hardcore and concrete.
I have an unused polytex pond liner, are there any reasons why I could not use this pond liner as a damp proof membrane ? Surely it is keep water in a pond it will keep mosture out ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you need a damp proof there? Is there an artesic fountain under the place you will build the garage? Will you sprinkle the soil under the floor by pipes? Is there a river pressing water in your fundaments?

Ref. damp proof problems, you get a lot of info here.

Good luck!

Konrad

Yeah.. yeah.. yeah...

But seriously can I use a pond liner as a damp proof membrane, between hardcore and concrete ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not, if its as thick as or thicker than 1200g polythene and overlapped properly, shouldn't be a problem

RogGriffin said:
I have a question regarding the damp proof membrane between the hardcore and concrete.
I just thought I mention it, use a layer of soft or pit sand on top of hardcore to protect the dpm.

Good point Masona but pit sand may be more expensive ;) due to H+S and little kiddies playing in it.........must`nt scrape their knees now :rolleyes:

It's OK to shovel some of your dry mix on top, isn't it?

JohnD said:
It's OK to shovel some of your dry mix on top, isn't it?
Hmm, not sure, sand would be better as it's acting as a cushion.

Just to mention- I read somewhere that in a few cases of 'rise' and 'heave' occurring after a long period, the reason was 'some soil reacts with the filling hardcore' (maybe also some types of hardcore too).
I opted to put a 1000g sheet under the lot- if I remember right-in the kitchen. Got everything crossed ! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back