Damp proofing - Insulating outbuilding before plaster& f

spy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few silly questions for you!

My outbuilding currently has a double glazed door between it and the rest of the house and a bare concrete floor some 6" (approx) lower than the rest of the house. It is single course brick wall with a flat concrete slab constructed roof.

I plan on moving the double glazed door to one end of the outbuilding and fitting another to the other end. Obviously these will be lifted a few bricks higher as I want to rais the floor to the same height as the rest of the house. I will not be putting heating out there as it is too far away from any hot water supply.

I was planning on using joists and wood flooring to raise the floor (on a tight budget and trying to avoid the concrete costs. My questions is, do I need to damp proof or line the concrete floor with anything before I lay the joists? I was also planning on studding the walls in order to bix in the pipework the runs in there. What should I insualte the walls with? Do I need to treat the painted brick work with anything first?

Sorry for the essay of a first post but I really dont want to have to redo the job in a few years time!

Any tips greatfuly received. Pictures of the current state below. PS the woden battens are not the start of my stud, they held the nasty pine cladding fitted by the previous owner!

outbuilding002.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
The way I would do it, is to lay 1 course of brickwork, dpc on top with bedded 4"x2" wallplate then your floor joists on top of the sleeper wall then make sure the floor doesn't touch the inner wall then you could build another stud wall making a cavity with air bricks on the outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back