Damp Victorian Bay Window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a damp front room, the house is Victorian (circa 1849) of brick construction, with a cavity wall. The main damp problem is with the front bay window. I have lowered the outside ground level, which was up about 2 courses above the slate dpc by digging out the concrete that was there and I have replaced the suspended timber floor inside which had been plagued by wet rot.

The inside wall however was not drying out so I hacked off the plaster, which I found out was actually render (someone seems to have bodged a repair before) and had been painted over with gloss to attempt to stop the damp. Under the render was a lot of rot tentacles (technical term ;) ) that had spread across the surface of the bricks and through the pointing. To check I removed a couple of bricks and checked that the cavity was clear. Needless to say is was about 30 cm deep with brick pieces, rotten wood and soil. I am now clearing out said debris with a spoon, it's taking rather a long time, can anyone suggest a quicker method?

I have plenty of ventilation in the bay now with 3 x air bricks inside and out but I need to clear out the cavity before anything will even think about drying out in this 'summer' weather! My intention is to cut out bricks a few at a time over the next few weeks once I have cleared out the cavity and then repoint with a 4 to 1 mixture with a bit of waterproofing solution to stop the rot getting into the mortar again. I'll try and get a picture up if anyone wants to see it.

Has anyone come across this before/ have any bright ideas about how to make my life easier? Or should I just carry on as I am scraping my knuckles and removing loads of soil with a spoon?

Sponsored Links
there is a risk you have dry rot which penetrates brick... look up some websites for pics and descriptions. It needs serious cutting out, burning, and drenching with chemical, if present.

As for the mucky cavity, if you can, take out a brick at each end of the bay, low down, and rake it out.

If it is fine dust, you may be able to get it out using an aquavac or similar, with a metal tube, poking it at the surface and letting it suck out a mouthful at a time (allow a break for air to blow through and the muck to reach the bin of the cleaner)

p.s. if it's an 1849, i'm surprised if it's a true cavity. Might be rat-trap.

A very good chance of dry rot with those tendrils :eek: :eek: that stuff can take out a row of terraced houses.(well, all the wood in them) :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back