Dangerous installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lads, I was over my friends house earlier tonight as he has had his house rewired by an 'electrician'- i was looking at a lighting fault. The house has a TT system, with the earth rod on the side wall of the house, the only thing is is that it is not connected to anything, just a 10mm earth cable hanging in mid air. The main water and gas are taken back to the CU. The reason i post this message is that my friend now wants to take action against this person for leaving his house in an unsafe manner. What would you guys do?? I have reconnected the earth rod but didnt have my loop tester to prove values for Ze.

Sponsored Links
call him back to fix all faults? sue for inconveniance and time taken off work to be in for him?

You should not have reconnected the Earth, it could be it is not required for other reasons, in any case your first action should have been to contact the electrician and call him back in..

could you enlighten me when it is acceptable to not connect a main earth?? what category would the installation fall under as it couldnt be TT, TNS or PME??

The house is a 3 bed semi, electric shower, two ring mains, 2 lighting circuits, outside power to garage etc, etc. so standard in my opinion - no special circumstances - whatever that means

in answer to your other question,we have tried to call him back but he wont answer his phone and

Sponsored Links
Did he issue a certificate? If so what organisation is he registered with?

If you are having difficulties contact him, contact his registered Organisation and ask them to appoint another registered electrician to remedy the work. This is the kind of thing that needs to eradicated and someone like the NICEIC or ECA will do all they can to pursue this.

Oh Boy!!!!!

Call a registered Electrician, building control and ensure this installation is safe.
This is the very thing that needs to stamped out.
This 'Friend' could be putting his friends at risk.

absolutely, i totally agree with you.

will someone please also enlighten me as to when it is not a requirement to connect a main earth as one of the previous posts suggest. i am absolutely baffled

I think what he is getting at, is the situation when the REC PME a TT install, the earth rod is not really needed anymore, but is usually left connected, though not really needed*

*though I have been told that it is advised (possibly by the iee) to have an earth rod on a TNCS install to strenfthen the M in PME...

I think the only person who will be able to explain what DDoyle was thinking is DDoyle..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back