Dead radiator

Jim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In house I have bought it has a loft conversion. The feed and expansion tank and the radiator are at this level. The level of the water in the f/e tank is such that it would be only three inches from the bottom of the radiator. The radiator is 16" high (and has a temperature control valve).Therefore I assume the top 13inches would have no water.
The previous owners say it used to work but I can neither get air or water or heat from it.
When I found the bleed valve at the back of the radiator it had one of those white plastic screw covers over it - why I cant guess.I removed it and turned the valve to no avail.
Is it possible that despite the levels described that someone found a way of filling the radiator originally which allowed heated water to circulate.
Can anyone suggest what the problem is and how to solve it.
JJ

Sponsored Links
The level of water in your radiator cannot be higher than the level in the tank.
you need to raise the water level by raising the tank as high as possible
and lower the radiator if possible.
You could experiment bymoving your radiator to a near horizontal position instead of vertical when the 3in of water will fill it and you can also bleed off the air

Thanks - Will have a go at that
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back