decent set of power tools required !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a fair bit of DIY coming up and my mix of £15 drill, and even cheaper jigsaw and angle grinder and various bodging techniques are struggling. Any recommendations in the slightly better price range ? What can I get for 30-40 quid in each case. Doing various tasks including fitting a kitchen so lots of drilling and cutting. Also putting up fencing I needed to chop down concrete panels and posts and cut into bricks, hence the angle grinder.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to cut concrete panels and posts into bricks? It will take ages and they probably have reinforcing rods in them. Much better to chuck them away and buy the bricks.

As for tools the Screwfix prices are sort of ok. If there's one near you, Netto are really cheap.

rootsnall said:
I've got a fair bit of DIY coming up and my mix of £15 drill, and even cheaper jigsaw and angle grinder and various bodging techniques are struggling. Any recommendations in the slightly better price range ? What can I get for 30-40 quid in each case. Doing various tasks including fitting a kitchen so lots of drilling and cutting. Also putting up fencing I needed to chop down concrete panels and posts and cut into bricks, hence the angle grinder.

heeelllooo roots and all and welcome :D

i think the reason for the lack of response is your budget is a tad unrealistic if you double your budget your at a sensible level for starter kit go for the kit you need to buy as it breaks

now buy cheap gear ruin a worktop thats £60 down the drain :cry:

.....now buy cheap gear ruin a worktop thats £60 down the drain

There's quite a few cheap machines about now that are a good deal better than some expensive ones of 20 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Some of the stuff in the sheds IS very good value, and at least if it does pack up you can just take it back, usually for a swap. A cheap drill is ok but a cheap jigsaw or circular saw is horrible. If you look at say the Bosch diy models you start to see what you're missing with the cheaper ones.

i recently seen someone with B&Q pro tool range and they performed pretty well

couldnt agree more about cheep tools being great
as long as failure dosnt cause problems for example i have a hitachi mv12 big beasty i also have several cheepies i got a power devil at £44 that was realy cheap several years ago mounted on a bit of ply then fits in my workmate to make a spindel molder never let me down
i also have a challenge 1100w i think it its it works well except the collet[chuck]doesnt hold the bits properly

i also have a cheap jigsaw that crabs[cut at an angle]iwouldnt use my cheep jigsaw for cutting important work but dont mind leaving it at someones house if it gets nicked or abused dosnt matter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back