Decking in garden. Any advice??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our garden is in need of a revamp. So far we have an existing patio which runs the width of the house and a path way leading down the garden on one side. Basically an 'L Shape'.

I would like to replace this with decking (No balastrades, etc. Just the decking on the floor) This i hope will create a tidy and contemporary looking garden. Once the rest is complete.

Does anyone have any advice on this?
1. Does it cost much to maintain?
2. Whats the best way to do this? Deck over existing flag stones or lift them up first?
3. What is the best way to support the decking. ie Frame underneath and how is the frame fixed to the house / existing soil base?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
jackpot said:
Our garden is in need of a revamp. So far we have an existing patio which runs the width of the house and a path way leading down the garden on one side. Basically an 'L Shape'.

I would like to replace this with decking (No balastrades, etc. Just the decking on the floor) This i hope will create a tidy and contemporary looking garden. Once the rest is complete.

Does anyone have any advice on this?
1. Does it cost much to maintain?No, just a clean off once a year and apply some decking oil
2. Whats the best way to do this? Deck over existing flag stones or lift them up first?If the slabs are stable and not wobbling then the frame can rest on them
3. What is the best way to support the decking. ie Frame underneath and how is the frame fixed to the house / existing soil base?Where there is a masonry wall the frame should be fixed to this with rawlbolts. The outside of the frame should then be constructed.If it is over a firm base then posts can rest on the base at each corner. If its over soil then dig out post holes and concrte them in. Once the frame is done infill with the cross memebers at 400mm centres. Then support these in the same way.

Thanks

I've thought of the same thing, where some of the decking maybe over slabs and soil.

But what size frame in height could used, where the slabs on my patio are 2 brick courses below the damp course.

4 x 2. dpc doesnt really cause a problem with decking

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back