Definition of a pillock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a building of 6 maisonettes. Round the back are 6 parking spaces, each one allocated to one of the 6 maisonettes. With me so far? It's not difficult!

I came home last night to find that someone who lives on my street, but not in my building, had parked a whacking big trailer on my space and overhanging my neighbour's space. They had then parked a rusty old Transit in another space. The only place for me to park my car was next to this badly-parked rusty heap, but if I put it all the way in the space the guy wouldn't have been able to get to his drivers' door. Despite his parking a trailer in my space, I didn't fancy getting woken up by my doorbell and an irate to**er so left it hanging out the 5 or 6 feet required to let him in.

Can you imagine my surprise when this morning I found a very snotty (and badly written) note from the van owner, carefully placed in a polythene bag, telling me I don't know how to park and that I am selfish. :LOL:

I can't wait to get home, I'm going to love this! There is no better argument than the one where you are absolutely 100% right, know you are, and there is no way that you are at all in the wrong! :LOL: I mean, "Well, I would have parked in my space but you had filled that and the space next to it with your trailer. I would have parked fully in that space but your van was too wide and you wouldn't have been able to get in. Besides, you don't even have any right to park here in the first place.". What can he say to that? It's like frickin' heroine, man! :LOL:

By the way, anyone know where I can buy a wheel clamp cheaply? ;)

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
..........By the way, anyone know where I can buy a wheel clamp cheaply? ;)

No, but you may need a wheelbrace !
Careful here ..... If not a regular happening ... may be wise to hold council.
Nutters and inconsideracy are generally closely related.
P

Sponsored Links
hehe!

I am sure that someone who writes a note is at least somewhat rational, a nutter would have keyed the message into the paintwork! And if they take the effort to put it in a polythene bag they are probably usually considerate.

The plan is to keep it calm and friendly, point out why I was parked so far out (I won't refer to his van as "that rusty s**theap"), and remind him of the ownership of said allocated parking.

I don't think there is any point getting all Michael Douglas about it! :LOL:

kevplumb said:
adam i have the same problem
imagine an empty street of 50 houses and the same pr*ck parks in front of mine regularly :evil:

This is annoying, but as long as they have road tax and park legally, they can put their car anywhere. Adam's prob is different: it is private land (that's you point, isn't it Adam?)

Adam if you are in a management committee for the m/nettes, consider asking for signs to be erected warning that unauthorised parkers will be clamped. Without proper notices, clamping will be unenforceable.

The sign should have a warning, a phone number to call to get unclamped and be VERY VISIBLE!!

Without this, I think it will be difficult to justifiably clamp your van driving buddy.

If in doubt, you could ring CAB...

This is annoying, but as long as they have road tax and park legally, they can put their car anywhere.

not in a permit zone
but try getting the council off there a*ses :evil:

A few tacks in the right places tends to deter !! Car parking is habit forming with regard to positioning ---
Where I lived 'til 10yrs ago, initially twas great for parking outside one's house no problems -- then came the housing crash, small houses became two flats etc .. parking steadily a nightmare !!
Now have plenty of off road parking on own property, but the barstewards damage my gate posts when turning -- why reverse directly at the gateposts when
a) There are two gate sets to aim between.
b) A normal height pavement opposite to reverse against thus preventing damage to the neighbours wall, and a frontal view of my gates.. Grrrrrrrrr ...
P

Yes, it is private land. I will be painting big thick lines and very prominent door numbers on each space after I get permission from my neighbours (and possibly a fiver each on materials and brushes!). Very good of me don't you think? :LOL:

The problem is, whilst it is obviously parking for the flats, until there are big signs telling others NOT to park there, they will treat it as a free-for-all. After all, you are less likely to park in someone's space if it has their door number on it. And if you do, you wouldn't be quite so upset if they block you in!

Was never a problem until the last couple of months. There haven't been any For Sale signs, so I suspect that people have taken in lodgers or become two/three-car households, or some of the houses are rented and have new tenants with more cars. So, it is important now that people assert their ownership of the spaces. Will probably be seen as very petty by those who see it as an overflow car park, but necessary for those of us who own the bl**dy spaces! :LOL:

Ah well, hopefully the van-owning neighbour will be rational when I speak to him tonight. :D

AdamW said:
Yes, it is private land. I will be painting big thick lines and very prominent door numbers on each space after I get permission from my neighbours (and possibly a fiver each on materials and brushes!). Very good of me don't you think? :LOL:
Would those fold down or removable lockable posts do the trick?

AdamW said:
By the way, anyone know where I can buy a wheel clamp cheaply? ;)

A quick squirt of expanding foam up the exhaust will provide the "DIY solution" ;)
He'll get 100 meters down the road before dug-dug-dug-ker-pumpf!

Obviously you mustn't actually do this...

.. but once he's learnt his lesson he would be able to remove the foam with a knife for free.. and it wouldn't actually cause any damage..

A friend of mine had the same problem. Exactly the same in fact, 6 flats, 6 private parking spaces, some tw@t parks there. And your suggestion is exactly what he did. Buy a wheel clamp - as long as you display a clear notice, you can clamp his car. And you can charge whatever you like for the release, as long as it's clear on the sign. I think Tony set his at £150.[/i]

I have a drive on the front of my house which leads out onto a busy main road. Some months ago a builder was refurbing a house a few doors down. We went through the burning of the rubbish in the middle of the day scenario so we did not exactly hit it off. I came home from work one night to find he had parked his van in front of the drive. he was stood next to it and knowing that my other half had an appointment at the doctors, asked him to move. 'Unloading mate' was the reply. I politely asked him again and he totally ignored me. The whole episode ended up with him on the floor with his shirt ripped off his back and me storming into the house to get something else i could use to encourage him to move! :LOL: He never parked there again but i could not believe that even though he could see he was in the wrong he 'tried' to prove he was right ;)

If at all practicle, I would suggest that all of the 6 maisonette owners contribute to an electronic gate blocking access to the whole lot. This would protect the whole area and offer some protection to all of the vehicles parked there also.

Would also suggest having it connected to the existing shared door entry/intercom setup. This way if you have a visitor, they can gain access without having a code/fob.

Maybe a bit pricey, but would provide many benefits me thinks. Wanna quote? :p

Well, I chose the friendly approach, no ripped shirts etc!

I got the impression that it was his wife who left the note, he had apparently stormed about this morning cursing me for my choice of parking location. :LOL:

I pointed out that I was leaving space for him to get into the van, and that he had parked his trailer in my space, he claimed that it was highways agency land (to which I pointed out it is actually on the deeds) so he could park there if he wanted. He told me that he actually had the Police come and tick him off about his parking in the past, as well as one of my neighbours come and have a proper go at him.

Think I will double check with the council that I can paint lines and numbers. If it is Highways Agency then I could see if they will pay for it ;)

Anyway, we agreed that it was a good thing that we discussed it rather than just harbour resentment. Life's too short!

Sponsored Links
Back