designing the truss

aa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to span a roof 12 meters between the walls to be covered with anduline.
I am considering an "A" shaped truss. The construction material available - pine wood boards and beams of up to 6 m long.
Where should I go to have the design of the truss including the crossection of the boards/beams and of the joints as well as the distance between two trusses? Or at least to learn how to make necessay calculations?

Sponsored Links
give a truss roof manufacturer a ring, they'll be licking their lips at a 12m span. they should measure, design and supply.

noseall said:
give a truss roof manufacturer a ring, they'll be licking their lips at a 12m span. they should measure, design and supply.
Thanks, but as I said I have my own materials and hands, and this is a DIY forum. If I was interested in Where To Buy I would use Google.

In that case if you want to do it right you'll have to appoint a structural engineer, it won't cost that much for a one man band type fella. Although in reality unless you can prove what structural grade your timber is I'd think any respectable engineer probably wouldn't be interested anyway. Going by your use of terminology I wouldn't even contemplate designing it yourself!

Sponsored Links
You could always work out your spans pitch loadings, cut you bits of board fix them together and simply put the trusses up

freddymercurystwin said:
In that case if you want to do it right you'll have to appoint a structural engineer, it won't cost that much for a one man band type fella. Although in reality unless you can prove what structural grade your timber is I'd think any respectable engineer probably wouldn't be interested anyway. Going by your use of terminology I wouldn't even contemplate designing it yourself!
I do not contemplate that is why I am asking where I can find one who would do. Althought I think that it should not that complicated for the design of trusses to span 12 m are available on the Internet. The question is really about crossection of the beams for a given material and the way to join them

datarebal said:
You could always work out your spans pitch loadings, cut you bits of board fix them together and simply put the trusses up
This is not that simple. The load (I mead the roof weight) is distributed and the crossection of the bits depend on the material as well as on the truss design. Besides there are loads like smow load and wind load which are far beyond my competence. However I do not think that the structural engineer would bother to do calculations and solve differential equiations. Most probably he simply look up some tables. If I only knew which tables and what to look ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back