Dewalt Router 626 (advice please)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never owned a router before, but recently decided that my tool cupboard needed one. I'm renovating a barn at the moment and the amount of times I've hit my hand chipping away with my chisel prompted me to think that there must be a tool for many of the jobs. Rebating, fitting hinges, making window frames etc etc

I've always been a believer that you get what you pay for particularly with tools. I thought I would need something with a bit of ommph so I went for the DW 626 model.

Having received it yesterday it is a bit of a monster! (mail order)

Also I got a trend catalogue with it and on the compatibility page the model is not even listed?!?!? which is worrying.

Have I bought a white(yellow!) elephant here? It was a fair few quid does anyone have a view ? At the moment it will be used mainly free hand but eventually I'm going to use it more mounted in a table and was worrying that its not compatible with much of today's router accessories. Cheers

Sponsored Links
I think it is the upgrade to the 625, so I would suspect that anything that fits the 625 will fit the 626. As Big-all said it is a new model so that is probably why you dont see it listed yet

Cheers guys you have put my mind at rest. I've purchase a number of dewalt power tools and they really are very reliable...fingers crossed!

Are the 1/2 inch routers with less power much smaller/any easier to handle?

The first job I have to do this weekend is rout out a recess for the large hinges that will carry my barn doors. Trouble is I will be up a ladder waving my 7kg router above my head and trying not to put holes all over the place.
I've purchased a straight cut bit and I assume a decent template is the answer?

Aslo I've noticed from reading through the site that you guys dont seem to suggest http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?productid=64272 too often (I could be wrong!) I've always found them very reliable and prices very competitive?

Sponsored Links
Trouble is I will be up a ladder waving my 7kg router above my head and trying not to put holes all over the place.

This sounds incredibly risky to me. Even on the ground with a 1/2 inch router it can surprise you. I'd be surprised if you are up a ladder with a 7kg router above your head it didn't kill you.

oilman said:
I'd be surprised if you are up a ladder with a 7kg router above your head it didn't kill you.
images

On me way !

Thanks for the (life saving) advice!

Must admit after turning it on a feeling the gyroscopic effect, not to mention seeing a sharpened piece of tungsten whizzing round at 20Milllion RPM...I decided to revert to the hammer and chisel!

However...I have already found a number of uses for it from the safety of the work bench.

My braced and ledged garage doors now overlap when closed in a very neat fashion and I'm already planing to replace some rotten window frames when I get the relevent bits.

On this subject could anyone recommend a 'starter set' of 1/2 router bits to get me going?

Thanks once again for all the advice.

There are many cheap starter sets about but the quality is not all it could be, I think you will be better off buying decent bits as and when you need them, I use CMT or Wealden cutters.

You may find the Hints & tips section of the Whelden site useful, they also have a very reliable next day delivery service and their prices include VAT & delivery.

http://www.wealdentool.com

Jason

Thanks Jason I'll do just that.

Their site is very impressive.

Cheers JCGRAY
I saw that set yesterday I'll order it today

Nice to see someone buy a Good router as the first purchase.
I dont think you will regret getting that model.
All DeWalt routers use the same bushes etc as the Trend.
The 626 wouldnt be listed as its new compared with its older brother the 625.
1/2" shank bits should keep their edge longer than 1/4" ones.
There are many reasons given for this including heat transference.
Two Americans who present The Router Workshop on the American PBS network for a few years, recently started a forum where this has been discussed.
http://www.routerforums.com/

Thanks Dewy

As I said I'm a firm believer in going for the highest quality one's budget can afford.

Many years ago I realised that not only was it a false economy in terms of longevity but some tools noticably circular saws actually make a complete mess of things not to mention the safety aspect.

I once bought a Power Devil (is it ? nasty cheap red thing) circular saw where the blade was so far out that it kicked out of the beach block worktop I was cutting and nearly took my fingers off.

I've always found Bosch stuff pretty good but recently Dewalt hasnt let me down.

Best purchse before the router was this monster http://diytools.com/store/detail.asp?productid=35781
it has been invaluable over the past 12 months...once I remembered to make sure the fence was out of the way when cutting bevels!

Nice weekend one and all.

I bought myself a DW 708 and what an awesome piece of kit it is. My level of finishing has improved dramatically, and it is great to be able to shave off a tiny amount to get a perfect fit, whereas before a small measuring error meant much cursing and swearing whilst I fettled the piece to the exact size. Cant recommend this particular saw enough

Antwerpman said:
I bought myself a DW 708 .......... Cant recommend this particular saw enough

Do you know how it compares with the Makita LS1013 (think I've got the number right)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back