Different options for new sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm in need of a couple of extra double sockets in my living room. As a long time reader here I thought I'd take the plunge with my first post to get any thoughts on my two current theories for how to go about it... Any thoughts appreciated!

Option 1.) There is a Switched FCU on the wall I need sockets on, which is a spur from the downstairs ring, and supplys a set of wall lights. I'd seperate the FCU from the light switch, then run a spur from the FCU to the new sockets. So it'd look like this:

(ring socket)->-(fcu)->-(new socket A)->-(new socket B)

I'm not sure if this is allowed, I've read conflicting info on whether or not multiple sockets on a spur are allowed if the spur is fused. The fcu would also feed a switch for the wall lights. Thinking about it, the wall light switch would need to be seperately fused with its own 3A FCU, yes?

Downside to this plan is that the floor is concrete, and there is a radiator on the wall between the FCU and where I want the new sockets, which would make running the spur cable behind the wall awkward.

Option 2.) Tap into the ring upstairs, extending it to include the new sockets downstairs. Ideally I'd like to do this using junction boxes to tap into the upstairs ring, rather than running new cable from an upstairs socket (less plasterboard to destroy)

(upstairs socket A)>>>(junction box)>>>(downstairs socket A)>>>(downstairs socket B)>>>(junction box)>>>(upstairs socket B)

Downside to this is I'd need to lift the chipboard floor upstairs to tap into the ring and feed the new cables down to the room below. Urgh.

Any thoughts at all on these options, good or bad, would be great.

Chris

Sponsored Links
FluffyLob said:
Hello all,

I'm in need of a couple of extra double sockets in my living room. As a long time reader here I thought I'd take the plunge with my first post to get any thoughts on my two current theories for how to go about it... Any thoughts appreciated!

Option 1.)
(ring socket)->-(fcu)->-(new socket A)->-(new socket B)
Just to clarify you are doing away with wall lights? Replace the fuse in the FCU with a 13A, supply from the ring into supply, new sockets onto Load side. You can add another 3A fcu for the wall lights if you wish, providing it is added after the 13A FCU. BTW, what sort of loading are you wanting to put on these sockets?
Option 2.)
(upstairs socket A)>>>(junction box)>>>(downstairs socket A)>>>(downstairs socket B)>>>(junction box)>>>(upstairs socket B)
Maybe a better option if you are using high current appliances, you need to make it clear to anyone working on these sockets they are fed from the upstairs ring. Junction boxes should be accessable for inspection, can you remove the old leg between (upstairs socket A) and (upstairs socket B) then connect the new leg via your two sockets between? Your connections will then be in the sockets and no need for jbs.

Thanks for the reply Spark,

Just to clarify you are doing away with wall lights?
No, I'd hook up a seperate 3A switched FCU fr the lights downstream from the 13A FCU. I should have included that in my diagram!
Replace the fuse in the FCU with a 13A, supply from the ring into supply, new sockets onto Load side.
Spot on.

You can add another 3A fcu for the wall lights if you wish, providing it is added after the 13A FCU.
Cool, that was the plan.
BTW, what sort of loading are you wanting to put on these sockets?
4 devices total - a plasma tc, a sky digibox, a tivo (pvr thing for those that don't remember!) and a home theater / dvd combi. I'll have to grab the wattage of each when I'm back home later.

can you remove the old leg between (upstairs socket A) and (upstairs socket B) then connect the new leg via your two sockets between?
Yes, I could, it would just mean trailling more cables behind plasterboard walls, which I'd prefer to avoid if possible. :)

Again, thanks for the reply.
Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back