Different Sand Types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seems to be a multitude of different sands available for different jobs......
is it another case of overkill :evil: or is it REALLY necessary to use different ones for seperate jobs???
I've got quite a few jobs to do over the next xxxmonths - rendering, laying some blocks, flooring (sand to be laid between the hardcore & dp membrane prior to the concrete)....... I'm tempted to get a ton of 'builders sand' - would I regret this?? :rolleyes:

...I'd be grateful for any opinions on this one!

Sponsored Links
drewks said:
There seems to be a multitude of different sands available for different jobs......
is it another case of overkill :evil: or is it REALLY necessary to use different ones for seperate jobs???
I've got quite a few jobs to do over the next xxxmonths - rendering, laying some blocks, flooring (sand to be laid between the hardcore & dp membrane prior to the concrete)....... I'm tempted to get a ton of 'builders sand' - would I regret this?? :rolleyes:

...I'd be grateful for any opinions on this one!

I'm no builder but the different sands DO have their uses. For bricklaying, for example, you need builder's sand; for laying drive blocks or for screed beds you should use sharp sand. I think plastering sand is used for rendering (but don't quote me on that!), and so on. A bulk bag of sand is much cheaper than the equivalent number of small bags - you'll have to work out how much of each you'll need to decide on the most economic way of buying it.

Thanks for the answer - I'm wondering whether there is a REALLY APPRECIABLE difference in any of the sands tho - ie whether there is one that COULD be classed as an all-rounder, or one that you definately shouldn't use for a particular job??
...or is it a bit like having 75 different types of baked beans to choose from the shelf!! :eek:

No they are very different for differing reasons.

Get the right sand for the job in hand is my advice!

Sponsored Links
drewks said:
Thanks for the answer - I'm wondering whether there is a REALLY APPRECIABLE difference in any of the sands tho - ie whether there is one that COULD be classed as an all-rounder, or one that you definately shouldn't use for a particular job??
...or is it a bit like having 75 different types of baked beans to choose from the shelf!! :eek:

Another point, the cost of sand for a given job is pretty small in the scheme of things. OK so you might save a few £££ here and there but you'd be forever battling to do a decent job by using the wrong materials.

Having a bulk bag of sand in the garden for a long time is a bit of a pain. If you do so, make sure you cover it with plastic sheeting to keep it dryish and to keep cats, children and leaves out.

I think they must have used sharp sand for the rendering in my house when it was built (late 50's). Whenever I drill into the wall, I always seem to hit a stone which deflects the drill bit and makes the hole bigger than I want.

Therefore DON'T use sharp sand for rendering!

Plastering sand should conform to BS somat which I believe relates to clay contamination which can weaken render layers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back