Difficult to insulate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a separate roof space on the back of my house with only limited access (a hole the size of a dinner plate). There is no insulation at present and I was considering using a loose-fill material to do the job. Please can anybody offer any advice, and advise if it is something I should be leaving to the professionals?
Also, my main loft is insulated and boarded and I have polythene attached to the rafters forming a barrier beneath the tiles and felt. Is there any reason for this, and if the loft is well ventilated is there any reason why I should not take it down?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
diyrealnovice said:
Also, my main loft is insulated and boarded and I have polythene attached to the rafters forming a barrier beneath the tiles and felt. Is there any reason for this, and if the loft is well ventilated is there any reason why I should not take it down?
Thank you.
No reason at all, it's just reduce the heating bills and feel warmer. The only thing I can think of is that you may not have any roofing felts so the polythene is to stop the draught coming through the tiles. I know you've mention roofing felt but can you see it?

Yes, I can actually see the felt. The polythene has now started to come away from the rafters and I just want to tidy it up, if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back