Dimmer for 2 -way lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2-way lighting circuit controlling to sets of G9 lights and would like to put a dimmer in circuit. - does it matter which switch is converted to a dimmer type or does it have to be the switch with the power feed to it i.e. the one with the 3-core and 2-core. The two sets of lights are 120w rated each - what should the dimmer rating be?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter which end, but you should note that you can only have one dimmer, I am unsure if the lights you have are halogen or not (not familiar with G9) but the rule of thumb for halogen lights is to double the load and use that to size the dimmer

Adam_151 said:
Doesn't matter which end, but you should note that you can only have one dimmer, I am unsure if the lights you have are halogen or not (not familiar with G9) but the rule of thumb for halogen lights is to double the load and use that to size the dimmer

G9 are Halogen...Am I right in thinking that my load would be 240w (120 + 120)...so the rating required would have to be 500w?

Sponsored Links
Tinkler said:
I have a 2-way lighting circuit controlling to sets of G9 lights and would like to put a dimmer in circuit. - does it matter which switch is converted to a dimmer type
No.

The two sets of lights are 120w rated each - what should the dimmer rating be?
Unless specifically rated for halogen lamps, 400W minimum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back