Dimmer Not Dimming (2 Way Lighting)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I`ve changed an existing 2 way lighting switch with a dimmer (the other switch is a pull cord type) it did dim at first but the two way lighting wasn`t wired in so I changed that so it works fine but now the dimmer switch doesn`t dim ? (it`s a plastic 400W one from B & Q) It`s controlling a 60W bulb. Any help appreciate ?

Sponsored Links
If it goes straight to full brightness, theres something wrong with the dimmer. But do check the wiring diagram supplied with it.

Another thing, how much did it cost? If it was less than £10, go back to B&Q and spend some more money on a quality dimmer. Brands to watch for are varilight, MK and Crabtree.

Thanks for the reply. it was about £7

Yes it only works on full briightness although at one point I do remember it working but the light was flickering, maybe it`s just faulty.

Sponsored Links
It is just a plain 60w bulb? no transformer? no fans or fancy gizmos?

Look on the dimmer for a minimum load. cheap ones have a minimum load, usually 40w, but you never know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back