Dimmer switch for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware that the usual way of fitting a dimmer switch for a bathroom is to mount it outside the room.

However, is there a way in which I could LEGALLY install a means of dimming and switching 12V halogen downlighters (IP44, in zones 2 and 3) from INSIDE the bathroom? Any switching to be fitted would be in zone 3.

I read here that "ALL LIGHT FITTINGS IN ZONE 3 HAVE NO SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS."

I am assuming this doesn't include switches.

I am all for safety and would not fit anything that contravenes regs, but I think it is odd that you can use a standard FCU in a bathroom but no-one seems to make IP-rated switches for bathroom use!

Sponsored Links
According to the IEE, if your light switch is in z3, it can be an ordinary plate switch with no requirements for protection.

However, there is a pull-cord dimmer on the market. See tlc or page 42 of latest paper catalogue.

whether it is suitable for SELV or not, i don't know.

I used the pull cord dimmer from TLC connected to a dimmable transformer, and then to 4 lv downlighters (ip65). It also has a line to trigger a timed extractor fan.

Paul

How exactly do you operate the pull cord dimmer? Does it dim whilst you are holding the string in the down position, and stop when you release it?

Sponsored Links
Yes Adam.

Pull it and hold it and it will dim up an d down, like a touch dimmer. Sharp tug gives on/off just like conventional pullcord.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back