Dimmer switch to normal switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I apologise if this has already been covered elsewhere but I've had a good look round and just want to make sure I'm putting the right wire in the right place.

Just moved into a house and the living room has a double dimmer switch (one controlling the ceiling rose, one for two wall lights). I wish to install a ceiling light/fan and replace the dimmer switch with a normal switch.

The dimmer switch has two blocks in the back, one for each switch and has the following wiring:
Block 1 (Wall lamps) - Terminal C - Red wire
Terminal L1 - Red wire
Terminal L2 - Empty
Block 2 (Ceiling Rose) - Terminal C - Black wire
Terminal L1 - Red wire
Terminal L2 - Empty

The metal back box has earth wires from both supply cables into the box attached and linked to the dimmer switch.

I have a chrome 2 gang 2 way switch to replace the dimmer with however on the rear block is three terminals along the top and bottom of the block, with an L1, L2 & L3 terminal both top and bottom.

I would be much obliged if anyone could advise what wire goes where on the new switch (and I apologise if this appears simple and straightforward, just want to make sure I get it right!).

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi there

block 1
terminal c wire to L1 in new 2g switch
terminal 1 wire to L2 in new switch
L3 in new switch will stay empty

Block 2

same as block 1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back