Dimmer Switsches for a living room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently just bought 2 single dimmer switches for my living room. I have tried swapping them with the plastic switches to no avail. I have 2 switches for the single light fitting. When I took the 1st plastic switch off, behind it they were 3 sets of wires. In L1 was a single red, in L2 a blue and either brown/black with red sleeve and in L3 is a yellow with red sleeve and another red wire. the dimmer has 3 connections ~, L1 and L2. I have tried all configurations and lights either don't come on or flicker. The other switch has 3 wires, L1 has the red , L2 has the blue and L3 has the yellow. Does anyone know of the correct way they should be wired, and also is it correct to have 2 dimmers for your only living room light??

Sponsored Links
No. There should only ever be one standard dimmer on a switching circuit*.

*Unless specially designed, that is.

thank you, as thats the case could you please tell me how to wire either up as I have had no success so far. I will put a switch on the other.

You may have had no luck simply because you had 2 dimmers in circuit....

Have you got a twin and earth cable plus a 3 core and earth cable at one position, plus a 3 core & earth at the other?

If this is so, at the switch with two cables, connect the red of 3 core to common, the yellow + black to one of the others and the blue + red to the remaining one.

At the single cable switch, red goes to common, and the others to the other terminals, following the same convention.

Use the instructions to help you.

Sponsored Links
L1 = common (arrow with squiggly line)
L2 = L1
L3 = L2

btw, did you buy 2 way dimmer switches?

Yes two way switches and the way they were connected in the 1 switch with two pairs of wires and a single red tried all the possibilities. Either lights flickered or off all together, and was unsure of swapping the pairs or trying them in different configurations.

Have you tried red on its own into com
Yellow + Red into L1
Blue + Black into L2
???

Yes the lights flickered on when the dimmer was turned on. I was not sure about trying different combinations, so left the three sets of wires the way they were.

Have you tried the other dimmer switch? Its possible the original one is faulty. What type and wattage of lamps are you using?

Never tried the other, its only a single light, and the wattage is 100w. Might try the other dimmer in the other switch then if that works just put another normal switch with the two sets of wires and the single red. The other switch has got a red to L1, blue to L2 and yellow to L3. Hopefully that will transfer straight to the dimmer i.e red to the ~, blue to L1 and yellow to L2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back