Dimmers at two locations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can turn on the light over my landing using a dimmer switch downstairs, or a regular on-off switch upstairs.
I would like to replace the on-off switch with a dimmer so I have the option of dimming the light when I am upstairs without having to keep going downstairs to use the dimmer.

Can I have a dimmer at each location without one interfering with the others?
If not, what other alternatives do I have?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
so long as BOTH are 2 way dimmers there should not be a problem

The salesperson at the store told me that if I have dimmers at both locations, when I dim the light at one location and then if I chose to raise the brightness at the other location, I won't be able to do it because od the original dim light setting at the first location.

Is that true?

Thanks

I see you're in Canada so I don't know if things work the same there but over here there is no way you can have a dimmer attached at both ends - even if they are both two-way. Your options are to either live with it or swap the two switches around to have the dimmer upstairs and the normal switch downstairs. The only other way to do it is fit an intelligent addressable lighting system, then you can dim the light from anywhere in the house but it's pretty invloved and is very unlikely to be a realistic option.

Sponsored Links
I was just talking with my wife 30 minutes ago about doing exactly what you suggested .....the swapping option!! :)

Thank You very much for your help!! :D

Back