Dirty bathroom water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:
The water from my bathroom taps has impurities in it. These look like little black/brown threads about 5mm long - a bit like the growth on the side of a pond. It seems to come mainly from the cold taps and does not affect the mains supply in the kitchen. The house is only about 8 years old. I have drained the cold water tank in the attic and cleaned it out completely. I then let the tank refill, turned off the water supply and drained the tank again 5 or 6 times but I still get the same dirty water in the bath, basin and even in the toilet. It is as if the pipes connecting the tank and the bathroom are contaminated or have some sort of growth in them. The house also has an ensuite bathroom which is used more frequently and is fed from the mains and does not have any problems. Any suggestions on how I can fix it?

Sponsored Links
I'd be a bit bothered if had something growing in the pipes (which this seems to be). If the pipes are copper the conditions should inhibit growth, but if you can look at the offending items under a microscope it might help.

A way of fixing it would be to disconnecrt the pipe at the tank and connect it to a powerflushing machine and the tap to the other end and flush the pipes. You would need to do this on the pipes to and from the hot tank as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back