Disconnect roomstat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a room stat attached to my central heating system and I have now fitted trv's so I would like to disconnect the room stat.
Could anyone please advise me how this should be done?
Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
You will still need the room stat as it operate the pump,boiler etc....

All the TVR's do is to sense the room air temperature and not control the pump,boiler etc....

Also you should have a by-pass in your system somewhere unless you have one radiator without TVR to protect the pump....

Thanks for your reply, I have TRV's on all rads, is that wrong?
Also, would the timer unit not control the switching on and off? I find at the moment that I can keep the living room at a reasonable temperature because I have the roomstat in there, however there is no control over the rest of the house.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
John

In simple term,

Basically a timer programmer is bit of a luxury,you programme it when you want the heating/water to come on.

If all your tvr's reach the room temperature,the radiator shutdown automatically and if you didn't have a room stat the pump will keep on running plus the boiler,this is why I have put in a by-pass to protect the pump.

When the room stat reach the room temperature it tell the pump & boiler to shutdown.Some pump have a overrun when boiler shutdown depending on the type of system you have.

The plumbing guru will be in tonight if they don't agree with me.

Sponsored Links
i should like to elaborate on the by pass aspect

one radiator should have no TRV because if they all close down the pump will still be running and will not be able to pump any where, this will ruin your pump. the most common place to NOT have a trv is the bathroom.

also it is law that you MUST have a room stat (read that in these forums somewhere)

You can still have TRV's on all radiator if you want to but MUST put a by-pass in.If you go to the furthest radiator away from the circulation and you could put a T-piece under the radiator valve,15mm pipe across to the other side with T-piece again,that will act as a by-pass,so if all the TRV's are shut the pump will still carry on circulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back